New Potatoes, Green Beans and Smoked Sausage in the Instant Pot

This is my first ever post on my new blog!  My intention is to share my adventures in cooking with other folks with similar interests.  At the moment, I am totally fascinated with my new kitchen toy–the Instant Pot!  (This is where I bought it: Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000W I’ve been exploring all the things it can do and the things it should do!  (You know, because just because you CAN do something doesn’t mean you SHOULD, right?)   My first few experiments involved simple things like hard-cooking eggs, steaming corn and baking potatoes.  I’ve been super impressed with how easy and quick these things were and the texture of each item was perfect.  I’m ready to expand my horizons!  Larry (my husband) suggested I throw some smoked sausage, new potatoes and fresh green beans into the magic pot and see what happened.  So, here we go!

1.  I poured 1.25 cups of hot water into the pot.  I cut the new potatoes into bite-sized pieces.  As it turned out, they would have probably been fine whole.  This is a live-and-learn environment!  20160727_175610
  2. I put the clean and snapped fresh green beans on top of the potatoes and then seasoned them with my 3 favorite seasonings.  These are my most-used shaker jars.  They are fantastic either alone or in combination.20160727_18115520160727_181241
  3. I put the slices of smoked sausage on top and closed the lid.20160727_181339
  4. IMPORTANT–I moved the valve to seal instead of vent!20160727_181303
  5. I set the Instant Pot for 10 minutes of high pressure on manual and walked away.20160727_181312
  6. It took about 10 minutes to get up to pressure (this is a guess since I walked away!)20160727_181417
  7. When the magic pot beeped out the song of its people, I did a quick release of the pressure by turning the valve to vent with a hot pad on top.  Then I walked away again.
  8. When I didn’t hear the steam escaping from the other room, I went back to the kitchen and opened ‘er up.  Things were quite well cooked.  We like our beans not to squeak or be crisp, so everyone was happy here.  The potatoes would have been done if I would have kept them whole, I imagine.  I could have taken a few minutes off the pressure time and things would have been fine and dandy.  But we were quite pleased with how it turned out as it was!  20160727_185852
  9. Total time from putting on the lid to scooping out supper was about 30 minutes.  One pot into the dishwasher.  No heating up my kitchen on this hot and muggy day.  No standing over a stove top to stir.  Yes!  Definitely a win!

I would love to hear some feedback from YOU!  What did you like?  What did you not like?  I know the photography needs some work.  I will work on that for the next time.  Anything you want me to try in the magic pot?  I have peach cobbler, potato salad and mac and cheese on deck…..

Advertisements

46 Comments Add yours

1. Jill Cordsen says:

can you post a link to the one you bought so I can get one and follow along??? Is there only one model? I want to try this stuff that you do out.

2. Kumi Taylor says:

Awesome job, Carol! You’ve peaked my interest.

3. Laura Cronin says:

I’d be very interested in seeing how pasta turns out, both as an ingredient and cooked by itself.

1. Stay tuned–Mac and Cheese is on the schedule for the next few days!

4. Vicki Parker says:

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy……..
    Here’s what I liked:
    – Ingredients are readily available at any grocery
    – Very quick, easy and no mess preparations
    – Instructions were very well presented and complete with pictures
    – Quick and easy clean-up

Here’s what I didn’t like:
    While my eyes enjoyed feasting on your culinary delight…and my mouth salivated with expectations of a very tasty meal…my taste buds were left unsatisfied since i wasn’t there to sample the deliciousness of the excellent meal you and your instant pot prepared.

Guess I’ll have to get an instant pot of my own. Of course I’ll also need to get some of the tastefully simple seasonings. Will I be able to order those from you, or should I try to locate someone local to get them from?

1. Just click on the link to Tastefully Simple at the top and it will take you right to my website. You can order whatever you like and it will ship directly to you. Thanks!!

5. Rudi says:

I have the pressure cooker XL, which is like what you have Carol. I used mine see and I fixed a pork roast, which was frozen, potatoes and carrots. My spices were Tastefully Simple onion, onion and garlic. I mixed them in with a can of celery soup and a can of water. I cooked ot for an hour. The meat was so tender and it was very yummy and so easy to fix.

6. Shelley says:

Yay! Going to try it this weekend! Have you done anything with rice or quinoa yet?

1. I haven’t. Larry won’t touch either of those so it will have to wait untIL he isn’t around.

7. Karen says:

Thank you for your post. This is what I was looking to try for our next meal. Look’s yummy.

8. Carole says:

Loved it making now for the second time.

Liked by 1 person

9. Pam says:

Delicious! Thank you!!

Liked by 1 person

10. aubs d says:

Can someone tell me how to do this in the duo plus? It does not have the manual button?! HELP

1. I don’t have a Duo Plus but looking of pictures of the display on the Instant Pot website, there is a Manual button on the bottom row of buttons. Hope that helps!

11. Sharon Clark says:

Would someone tell me the three spices that were used? I am blind and cannot see the pictures. Sounds wonderful though.

1. Leslie says:

Sharon, the seasonings were garlic salt, onion salt, and something labeled, ‘seasoning salt’.

1. Sharon Clark says:

Thanks for the description.

2. I use seasonings from Tastefully Simple that are a blend. You could probably recreate something close to it with minced garlic, chopped onions and salt.

1. Sharon Clark says:

Thank you.

12. brrrgitta says:

This was delicious. My first foray with the Instant Pot. I love that it didn’t heat up my kitchen, and even more I love that I didn’t have to stand over the stove!

13. Scheli says:

This is now a family fave! I’ve made it several times now with NO leftovers! Thank you!

14. Pam Richardson says:

I followed your instructions and our dinner was awesome! Ty!

15. Angie says:

I’m going to make this tonight !! Thanks for the info!!

16. Sharon Wood says:

I made the green beans and potatoes and instead of the smoked sausage I used ham and I use the whole new potatoes cooked it for 10 minutes for 10 minutes and I did let it natural release 410 and oh my goodness that was so good I did a whole pot though I’d put as much stuff in as I could and it was really good thank you for your recipe

17. Linda says:

The potatoes sausage was the first recipe I made in my IP.. Delicious.
    I have downloaded COPY ME THAT app on my phone .This is a recipe manager
    However if the receipt is not written out the app.,
    can’t detect in and download
    It to your device.
    Perhaps you would consider also putting recipe in traditional format.

18. Frances Wayne says:

Thanks for the wonderful receipe.. only suggestion.. if you could actually have the names of the spices you used.. the picture was a bit fuzzy and I couldn’t make out the spices you used!

19. Sherry says:

I have made this 3 times in my instant pot and its definitely my favorite, thanks for the recipe!

20. I just purchased an Instapot and the green beans, sausage and potatoes will be my first use of the pot for supper tonight! I love your blog!

21. Laurie McCoy says:

Looks good Carol! I came looking to do a meal in it using sausage, veggies and potatoes and found you! Thank you..making tonight!

22. Jen says:

How many potato’s and how much sausage?

1. Hi Jen! It’s totally according to how many people you have to feed. I usually make a pound of sausage and 4 big potatoes. As long as you are below the maximum line on your inner pot, it’s a matter of how much you need. Hope that helps!

23. Katie Bartram says:

Can I use can green beans? I’ve got some deer sausage I’ve been wanting to try this out with

1. Yes but since they are already cooked, they would be mushy if you put them in at the start. I would wait until everything else is done and then stir them in and put the lid back on for a few minutes. That should heat them up which is all yours need for canned.

24. Holly says:

I’ll be trying this tomorrow! I think I’ll add in a little Bacon Bacon, as well. Thanks for posting this!

25. Eric says:

Very nice. I do this or a version of it quite often. Add corn, carrots, peas, any veggies really and it comes out nice every time.
    Like your photo, a side of cottage cheese and tomato makes it even better.
    Add beef broth, onion, garlic and get a different flavor from the same basics.
    Sauté the sausage a little first with some onion, garlic, and olive oil …. endless possibilities with this. So easy and so good with just about whatever you happen to have on hand for your tastes.

26. Bill says:

I would love to get a copy of this receipt but your site is overwhelming and I don’t need picture instructions

1. I’m sorry, Bill, but this isn’t a recipe so much as a “how-to.” Most of my other entries have the recipe at the bottom so if you don’t want pictures, just scroll down. Thanks for the feedback!

27. lorabele says:

Found your list of what you did, but is there an actual recipe with amounts of things you used? Sounds like a great meal, but there’s just not enough here for me to duplicate it.

1. I’m sorry, this was more of a technique/process than a recipe. You can add as much of each ingredient as you want as long as it fits under the fill line. The time and method doesn’t change. Hope that helps.

28. Cathy says:

Thank you for this wonderful recipe, we like our beans just a little crisp, so I did a couple of mins less. It is so easy and we love it…

29. Pete Lovegrove says:

Carol, what were the three spices that you added?

1. These are Tastefully Simple products but you could substitute fresh minced garlic (to taste), high quality seasoning salt and a cup of chopped onions.

30. Alesia Matotek says:

I made this tonight and was a bit disappointed that there was so much liquid left – is this the way it is supposed to be?

31. Hi there! Sorry for the delayed reply, I’ve been on vacation with no Internet (and about to lose it again for a few days!) With pressure cooking there is no evaporation so the liquid you put in as well as the liquid in the food will all still be there at the end. Most cookers require a cup of liquid to produce enough steam to come to pressure. How much more you add is personal preference. If you want your food to be less wet, you can put it into a metal or ceramic bowl inside your cooking pot (referred to as pot-in-pot cooking.). If you have more questions, please feel free to ask. I’m happy to help but it will be a few days before I’m back in contact.