I LOVE macaroni and cheese! It’s always been one of my favorite comfort foods. When I bought my Instant Pot on Amazon Prime Day, I found out there was a large Facebook group of users so I signed up and started reading. Several dishes seemed to be mentioned over and over again as being great for first-time users. One was macaroni and cheese and I was instantly intrigued. Pasta in a pressure cooker? I’m willing to try about anything once, so I did some research and found all sorts of recipes but they were all pretty similar. I settled on using the one I found here at Dad Cooks Dinner. As usual, I didn’t follow the recipe exactly, but I used it as my base.
- I dumped a 1-pound bag of spiral pasta into the Instant Pot. I added 4 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of butter, 1 tablespoon of mustard, and 1 tablespoon of kosher salt. We aren’t a hot sauce kind of family, so I passed on that.
- I turned the Instant Pot onto 4 minutes on manual high pressure.
- At the end of the pressure cycle, I did a quick release of the pressure. When the venting was done, I opened the lid.
- I stirred in a can of evaporated milk, 16 ounces of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and 6 ounces of gouda (because that is what I had in the fridge.)
- I was going to put it into a pan and top it with Panko bread crumbs and put it under the broiler but before I could, we sort of ate it! It was fantastic! Easy, peasy and all in one pot!