The nights have suddenly gotten cooler and made me start thinking about soups and stews and all the yummy comfort foods that go with Fall. We still have quite a few roasts in our freezer from the last steer we had butchered but we were in the mood for some stew. Here we go!
- I thawed the roast overnight so I could cut it into chunks.
- I cut the meat into bite-sized chunks. I considered flouring and browning the meat but I was in a bit of a hurry, so I skipped that step.
- I dumped the meat into the pot and added 1 lid full of Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic and 2 lids full of Tastefully Simple Onion Onion as well as 2 lid full of Tastefully Simple Dried Tomato and Garlic Pesto Mix. I added a carton of beef broth to the pot (which I apparently neglected to photograph.)
- I set the Instant Pot to MEAT/STEW and used the +/- buttons to change the time 35 minutes on HIGH pressure. When the cycle was done, I let the pressure release naturally for about 15 minutes, hit CANCEL and then opened the pot.
- I added my cut up potatoes, carrots and onions to the pot and stirred well. I locked the lid back on and selected MANUAL and used the +/- buttons to adjust the time to 8 minutes. Since everything was nice and hot, it didn’t take long to come back to pressure.
- When the pressure cycle was complete, I did a quick pressure release. The stew was ready to eat, but I like the broth to be a little a little thicker so I took some out of the pot and added a few tablespoons of corn starch to it. I stirred it until it was smooth then added it back to the pot.
- I hit CANCEL then SAUTE and ADJUST up to the top temperature and it began to boil. I let it boil just a few minutes until it began to thicken and then it was ready to serve.
- BEST stew I’ve ever made! The meat was so tender it almost melted in my mouth! Wonderful full flavor. Definitely THE way to make stew!
Fantastic Beef Stew in the Instant Pot
2 pounds beef stew meat or chuck roast cut into chunks
2 Tbl Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic
2 Tbl Tastefully Simple Onion Onion
4 Tbl Tastefully Simple Dried Tomato and Garlic Pesto Mix1 32 oz carton of beef broth
2 pounds potatoes cut into bite-sized chunks
2 large onions cut into wedges
1/2 pound carrots cut into chunks
2 Tbl cornstarch (optional)
Combine beef with spices and beef broth. Set Instant Pot to STEW for 35 minutes. Let pressure naturally release for 15 minutes. Open pot and add vegetables and stir well. Hit CANCEL and then MANUAL and change to 8 minutes. When pressure cycle is over, release pressure and open lid. If thicker broth is desired, remove half cup of broth into a small bowl and stir in cornstarch. When it is smooth, add it into the broth and stir. Hit CANCEL and then SAUTE and then ADJUST until you get the highest setting. Allow to boil while stirring for a few minutes until broth begins to thicken.